Verse For the Day

Isaiah 58:6-7 (NIV) "Is this not the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice...Is it not to share your food with the hungry...?"

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Everyone Can Do Something - Do You Have a Minute?

James 2:15-16 (NIV) Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, "Go in peace; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?

Have I mentioned  thehungersite.com? This is a website where you can give 1.1 cups of food to the poor each day. You can only click once a day, but you can set  it up so that they send a daily reminder in your email. And even better - when you go to the site, there will be several tabs showing at the top such as breast cancer, literacy, veterans and several others. Click on each one and it will take you less than a minute. All the donations are paid for by the sponsors of the different sites. You can send e-cards to your friends, and the donation is even greater. Just check it out. I think you'll like it.

Nineteen days into my forty day fast, and I'm struggling. At first, it was easy to eliminate meat and sugar from my diet, but now I think I have to have a protein boost. Some days I feel very weak physically, and some days, mentally. Tonight I am making breaded pork tenderloin for my husband, and my mouth waters each time I think of it. On Monday, it was roast beef. And did I mention the leftover coconut cake from Sunday that sat in the fridge for two days, tempting me every time I opened the door? I finally froze it, but I don't know how good it will be when its defrosted.

One reason it was easy in the beginning was that I had not given up Diet Coke. But a few days into the fast I knew that I was being called to do just that. Give up the one thing that I turn to most often when I need a beverage. So I decided to try. At first I weaned myself down to two cokes a day, but that was not good enough, so I then gave it up completely. Not that I've been 100% successful - when I face a little crisis, I need that drink. But most of the time, I just think about it, ask God to handle it, and make myself a cup of hot tea. And I know I am covered by God's grace when I fail. God is so good!



And it's only five more days until Sunday when I can feast again. I think I can make it with God's help.

No comments:

Post a Comment