Verse For the Day

Isaiah 58:6-7 (NIV) "Is this not the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice...Is it not to share your food with the hungry...?"

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Breath of God

"Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what  seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them." Acts 2: 2-4 (NIV)

Today is Pentecost Sunday, and it feels like an appropriate time to write about "Spirit." In our service this morning our pastor spoke about Jesus appearing to the disciples over a period of forty days after His resurrection. This gave them time to be "ready" to receive the Holy Spirit. A comparison was given that if a violent wind and tongues of fire came into our church today, we would all run away screaming.

It's hard to fathom what Spirit really is. But I believe it's what moves us to be kinder to others, and feel compelled to live out our faith by our actions. At times I have felt, and probably you have too, a gentleness moving within, some thought that reminds us to do what our conscience dictates.
At times, I believe I have felt the Holy Spirit moving me in a direction I hadn't planned to take - moving me to get up early and go to church, rather than sleeping in. (I love to sleep in.) Moving me to go in and donate a couple of hours of my time for a worthy cause when I might rather spend that time in my garden. Moving me to speak when my inclination is to be silent. I could go on, but I think you get the gist.

I encourage all of you to spend some time in quiet thought this week, and wait for the Spirit to move you. You might be surprised at the results.

Are you ready?


No comments:

Post a Comment